Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

Whole wheat flour nankhatai

I remember, as a kid I could not hide my excitement when one of my aunt, who was my mom's friend, visited us. I would bug mom and ask when was that aunt visiting because yeah...she would bring sweets, especially nankhatais whenever she came home. Mom's generally don't allow kids to eat a lot of sweets and my mom was no exception. Now, that I am old enough now to decide for myself, I do sometimes relish home-made nankhatais. I used to make them with all-purpose flour and they came out delicious. But after having a daughter, I limited my all-purpose flour usage and have started making nankhatais using whole-wheat flour/chapati flour. 




Whole wheat flour/chapati flour - 1 cup
Unsalted butter/ghee                 - 1 stick or 1/2 cup
Baking powder                         - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda                              - pinch
Salt                                            - 1/4 tsp
Powdered sugar                         - 1/2 cup or granulated sugar+1tsp starch
Cardamom powder                    - 1/2 tsp
Pistachios/Almonds/Cashews     - Coarsely crushed

Method:
Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
Beat the butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Add salt, cardamom powder and mix it well.
Add flour and mix it well.
Let it rest for 15 minutes
Divide the dough into 18-20 equal balls.
Then flatten them a little bit by tapping.
Arrange them in a baking tray. Garnish with pistachios or cashews or almonds to your liking.
Bake them for 12-15 minutes.
Cool them on a wire rack.
Store these eggless biscuits/nankhatais in an air-tight container.





No comments:

Post a Comment